Sr. Systems EngineerReston, VA or Remote
What we’re looking for…
Opportunity for a highly motivated and experienced Sr. Systems Engineer on ScienceLogic’s Infrastructure Technology (IT) team. The Sr. Systems Engineer will be part of the team that is responsible for providing Systems and infrastructure Design, implementation, and Operations support to ScienceLogic’s internal and external cloud infrastructure in different physical geographic locations, AWS, Azure, and other public cloud locations.
What you’ll be doing…
- Analyze existing systems and infrastructure lifecycle to determine industry-forward best practices for upgrades or replacements best suited for business needs
- Design, Implement, Maintain, troubleshoot, and configure IT system implementations including physical or virtual infrastructure components including but not limited to servers, Virtual Machines, Cloud systems, and storage arrays
- Implement SSO configurations on third party tools or systems utilizing SAML2.0 protocol to improve IAM security posture
- Perform day-to-day operations tasks including VM provisioning, implementing secure connections with public cloud resources, responding to alerts and incidents, etc.
- Work with other teams on infrastructure design for new solutions deployment and integration of acquired offices/systems
- Implement simulated lab scenarios for engineering teams to use for product testing
- Ensuring systems and services are up and running 24x7x365
- Perform all activities in keeping with established change management and approval procedures
- Participate in on-call schedule for after-hours and weekend support
- Execute and complete systems projects based on ScienceLogic internal and customer facing needs
- Supporting servicedesk team by creating proper Network Design Documentation, and draft process/procedures/policies to aid in knowledge transfer among the team
- Act as subject-matter-expert for public cloud end-to-end security architecture, including networking, storage, databases, provisioning, and management
- Drive continuous integration and deployment of secure cloud solutions
- Document secure patterns and solution designs for consuming cloud services for use by the technology and security teams
- Provide Tier 3 escalation support for any cloud or infrastructure-related issues
- Serve as security liaison between the security and technology teams
- Execute and successfully complete projects and evaluate new technologies/platforms to determine their applicability to solving ScienceLogic’s business challenges and needs
Qualities you possess…
- Experience with secure authentication protocols such as SAML 2.0 for increasing identity and access management security
- Knowledgeable of industry standard security frameworks and controls required of Public Cloud services to host sensitive data - Experience in a highly regulated industry is preferred
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex information both verbally and in writing to teams with varying levels of technical expertise and security knowledge, as well as executive management
- Ability to speak to risk-based design decisioning and understanding mitigating risk
- Experience with NFS, iSCSI, fibrechannel, and other NAS connectivity methods
- Must have experience with Public Cloud (AWS, Azure, SoftLayer) networking and security
- Experience with simulation tools such as simplesoft, VIRL, and other SNMP simulators
- 5+ years of experience designing, implementing and maintaining fully redundant, highly-available, scalable infrastructure deployments including IP networks, L2/L3 technologies, routers, L2/L3 switches, firewalls, load balancers, hypervisors, and storage
- Extensive knowledge and strong fundamental understanding of enterprise network technologies including TCP/IP, Routing protocols (OSPF/BGP/EIGRP), VoIP protocols (SIP/SCCP), VLANs (STP/VTP), VPNs (IPSEC), QOS, and IP addressing
- 5+ years of knowledge, experience, and ability troubleshooting and producing designs that leverage protocols such as HSRP, MSTP, 802.1q, 802.1AX, OSPF, ISIS, BGP, MPLS, LDP, VRF etc.
- 5+ years of working knowledge, experience, and ability with TCP internals and other L4-7 protocols and technologies such as: SSL, HTTP, DNS, NTP, Local Load Balancing, Global Load Balancing, Netmon/Wireshark, etc.
- Excellent Understanding of virtualization technologies particularly VMWare but also including Hyper-V, KVM, etc.
- Demonstrate efficient and effective use of problem-solving, troubleshooting, project management and task prioritization to solve complex IT challenges.
- Motivated learner individual should be able to quickly learn new technologies and keep IT Operations skills current with emerging technologies
- Excellent communication and technical documentation skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical audiences
- Highly motivated individual who is a self-starter and can demonstrate effective project management and completion of complex cloud + infrastructure tasks with little guidance
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or similar fields. Education requirement can be substituted with demonstrated commensurate experience
- Desirable: Kubernetes, docker, and other containerization technology experience
ScienceLogic is a leader in IT Operations Management, providing modern IT operations with actionable insights to resolve and predict problems faster in a digital, ephemeral world. Its solution sees everything across cloud and distributed architectures, contextualizes data through relationship mapping, and acts on this insight through integration and automation.