Sr. Python Engineer - Solutions DevelopmentReston, VA or Remote
*This position can be remote within the US*
What we’re looking for…
ScienceLogic is looking for an ambitious Software Engineer who possesses a strong understanding of software engineering process and methodologies as well as object-oriented design and programming experience. Ideal candidates will be able to take an active role in reviewing/accepting requirements, building new data collection, manipulation and storage functionality and/or features that use this data to make the hybrid infrastructure manageable from a single pane of glass.
Who we are…
The Software Engineering team is composed of small groups of highly intelligent and innovative software development and quality assurance engineers who enjoy collaborating on technically challenging projects. Each team member is as unique as the projects we work on, but one thing remains the same – our commitment and passion to delivering cutting edge technology solutions for hybrid cloud network monitoring.
What you’ll be doing…
Managing today’s hybrid cloud IT infrastructure can be complex and chaotic. As a Software Engineer with ScienceLogic, you will play an integral role in developing the solution by creating clarity and visibility for managing on-prem and multi-cloud infrastructure for some of the largest companies and service providers in the world.
- Building upon the SL1 platform to integrate with and monitor diverse technologies with a focus on Cisco infrastructure technologies.
- Contribute to building and maintaining highly scalable Python processes for the purpose of data collection, manipulation, data pruning, trending and analytics, etc.
- Help make technical decisions within the team leading to high performance, maintainable solutions.
- Drives best practices, ensures appropriate use of design patterns and sets standards for code quality and unit testing.
- Writing and maintaining unit tests and other automated tests
- Participate in the ScienceLogic developer community by answering questions, helping with designs, contributing to our open source packages and participating in discussions.
- Contribute to the review and maintenance of product backlog, as well as assisting in the implementation of features while adhering to sound Engineering principles.
- Advocating for the team’s needs as part of backlog maintenance
- Take an active role in understanding and prioritizing technical debt.
- Contribute to the review and correction of defects.
- Work in a collaborative and agile environment that is geared towards a Continuous Delivery mechanism, exhibiting strong time management and communication skills; as well as flexibility/agility to changing environments.
- Actively contribute in Scrum reviews, standups, retrospectives and backlog grooming.
Qualities you possess…
You’re a self-starter, a problem solver, love to code, have excellent time-management skills and are open and collaborative. Plus you’ve got the following skills:
- BS in CS or equivalent technical discipline or equivalent experience where you learn basic software engineering concepts – functional programming, OO design, threading, multi-processing, design patterns, etc.
- 5+ years’ experience in Software Engineering or a related field.
- Knowledge of Cisco networking, voice and video products and architecture is a major plus.
- While the majority of our code-base is in Python, we require an intermediate level of proficiency with two or more common software development languages.
- Has the ability to deliver high quality, production ready code.
- 2+ years using MySQL/NoSQL and have the ability to evaluate and write efficient queries.
- 3+ years using Linux with the ability to navigate, write scripts and work with packages.
- Working knowledge of developing multi-threaded or multi-process software.
- Working knowledge of efficiently consuming remote APIs is a must
- Working knowledge of software development lifecycle, from product backlog through delivery.
- Experience in the area of network or systems management or administration is a major plus.
- Prior experience in an Agile environment with an emphasis on Continuous Delivery/Continuous Integration is a must.
- A working knowledge of current build tools, and advanced bash scripting is highly preferred.
- You are passionate about delivering high quality, production ready code and believe that teams, not individuals are responsible for software quality.
ScienceLogic is a leader in IT Operations Management, providing modern IT operations with actionable insights to predict and resolve problems faster in a digital, ephemeral world. Its solution sees everything across cloud and distributed architectures, contextualizes data through relationship mapping, and acts on this insight through integration and automation.