Python Engineer - Solutions DevelopmentReston, VA, Raleigh, NC or Remote
*This position can be remote within the US*
What we’re looking for…
ScienceLogic is looking for an ambitious Software Engineer who loves creating high-quality software while working on a friendly and collaborative team. Ideal candidates will help refine requirements, build new features, improve code quality, and help build a state-of-the-art product.
Who we are…
Software Engineering at ScienceLogic is comprised of small teams of intelligent and innovative engineers who love a good technical challenge and enjoy working together to tackle problems. We build software that helps our customers keep their IT operations running efficiently. Each of us is committed to teamwork, quality, and innovation. We celebrate both successes and failures, so long as we learn from the failures.
What you’ll be doing…
Managing today’s hybrid cloud IT infrastructure can be complex and chaotic. As a Software Engineer with ScienceLogic, you will help create the solutions to tame the complexity for some of the largest companies and service providers in the world. Some of the work you will be doing includes:
- Contribute to building and maintaining highly scalable software with minimal direction.
- This software is written in python and is used for data collection, data manipulation, data pruning, trending, and analytics, etc.
- Our goal is to represent external systems in our platform and use the insights from that data to bring relevant data to our customers
- You will build on the SL1 platform to integrate with, and monitor, diverse technologies
- Quality is important to us so you will write and maintain unit tests and other automated tests. You will also help to correct defects
- Being actively involved with the team
- Take an active role in understanding and prioritizing technical debt
- Advocating for the team’s needs as part of backlog maintenance
- Actively contribute to Scrum reviews, standups, retrospectives, and backlog grooming
- Collaborate with your team members so that we can work together in solving challenges
- Help to keep good engineering practices as our standard
- This role is going to join with various internal teams to lead implementing a framework
- Lead in building and updating code to use the framework and following our modern best practices
- Become an expert in the framework for building integrations
- Gain a deep understanding of existing best practices
- Help to develop new best practices
- Transition ownership of new framework-based code to the owning team
- Engage with the other team with peer review, agile ceremonies, and knowledge transfer
- Help to drive requirements to the framework and implement them as applicable
- Help teams optimize for scale
- Contribute to the review and maintenance of product backlog, as well as assisting in implementing features
Qualities you possess…
You’re a self-starter, a problem solver, love to code, have excellent time-management skills, communicate clearly, and are open and collaborative.
You meet the following criteria:
- BS in a programming field such as Computer Science or equivalent experience with software engineering concepts such as:
- Functional and Object-Oriented programming
- Threading and multi-processing
- Design Patterns
- 3+ years’ experience in Software Engineering, programming, or a related field.
- Ability to deliver high-quality python code
- You are passionate about delivering high-quality, production-ready code and believe that teams, not individuals, are responsible for software quality.
You have confidence that you can either do the following, or learn to do the following:
- Use MySQL/NoSQL and have the ability to evaluate and write efficient queries.
- Use Linux with the ability to navigate, write scripts and work with packages.
- Code with a working knowledge of:
- Developing multi-threaded or multi-process software.
- Efficiently consuming remote APIs
- The software development lifecycle, from product backlog through delivery.
- Modern industry standard build tools
- Advanced bash scripting
- Understand network or systems management or administration
- Work in an Agile environment with an emphasis on Continuous Delivery/Continuous Integration
ScienceLogic is a leader in IT Operations Management, providing modern IT operations with actionable insights to predict and resolve problems faster in a digital, ephemeral world. Its solution sees everything across cloud and distributed architectures, contextualizes data through relationship mapping, and acts on this insight through integration and automation.